• 415-541-9290

Marriage Based Green Card

Marriage to U.S. Citizen

Our office specializes in Marriage to U.S. Citizen Green Card cases. Spouses of US citizens are classified as immediate relatives and can file for their family members (including children under 21, and parents) and are not subject to the Department of State Visa Bulletin, shortening the length of the processing time. If you are a legal permanent resident and would like information on petitioning your spouse or other relatives click here.

Our office has represented hundreds of foreign nationals before US Citizenship & Immigration Services and the Department of State with successful results.

If Your Spouse is In the U.S.

If your spouse is in the U.S. then they may be eligible to apply for legal permanent residency in the U.S. with out having to travel abroad for an interview in their home country. They may also apply for work authorization and permission to travel abroad if needed while they await their notice of interview at the local U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) office.

The work permit and travel permit are usually issued within a few of months. The green card process normally takes longer. Call our office for current processing times of marriage green card applications filed in the U.S.

In any case, the foreign-born spouse is permitted to live, work, and study in the United States while the application is pending. Call our office for your free case evaluation.

If Your Spouse is Outside the U.S.

If a U.S. citizen marries a foreign national outside of the United States, the foreign-born spouse must usually wait outside the United States for the immigrant visa to be approved. Procedurally, this petition process also includes presentation of documents and an interview at the U.S. Embassy or consulate in the country where the foreign-born spouse resides, before an immigrant visa is granted. Usually, immigration processing time through the consulate is longer than in many local USCIS offices. Call our office for your free case evaluation and current processing times.

Conditional Residency & I-751 Removal of Conditions

If the marriage is less than two-years-old before permanent residency is approved, USCIS will issue conditional residency valid for two years. Conditional residency can be removed within 90 days of the expiration of the green card and must be petitioned for jointly by both spouses. Failure to remove the conditional residency in time places the foreign-born spouse out of status and subjects him or her to deportation proceedings. Our office has over 20 years experience representing couples in filing I-751 petitions to remove conditional residency requirements from their green card.

If the marriage has dissolved for reasons of death of the citizen spouse, spousal abuse, or divorce, the foreign-born spouse may request to have the joint petition requirement waived. Our office is experienced in obtaining waivers of the joint petition requirement. Most individually filed I-751 Petitions to Remove Conditional Residency will require an interview at the local USCIS office with jurisdiction over your case.  Call our office to set up an appointment for a case evaluation. The legal fee for the case evaluation will be applied towards our legal fees if our office is retained within 30 days of your appointment.